Chicago Area Paternity And Parental Rights Lawyer

In recent years, there has been a steady increase in non-marital births. At the same time, public opinion has started to recognize fathers' rights as caregivers in the same way that it has come to recognize mothers' abilities to act as breadwinners. Families today are more likely than ever before to include a single parent household, which means that parenting rights are in need of protection.

At The Law Offices of Andrew L. Horberg, P.C., family law attorneys support parents in petitioning for and defending their parental rights. If you are an unmarried parent who is seeking custody or visitation rights, or are an unmarried parent in need of child support from a biological parent, call Mr. Horberg to speak with an experienced parental rights lawyer.

Why Is It Important To Establish Paternity?

Paternity is the legal relationship established between father and child. Establishing paternity affects both parents and has several legal consequences. Here are some common reasons why one parent may bring a paternity action against another:

  • To ensure a child's right to a legal father-child relationship

  • To add the father's name to the birth certificate

  • To protect parents' rights

  • To allow access to family medical information

  • To secure the child's benefits such as financial and medical support, Social Security, veterans benefits and inheritance

An experienced lawyer can help you to understand the various ways in which a paternity action will affect your situation and benefit you. Schedule a consultation to learn more.

Paternity Actions For Birth Fathers And Mothers

When biological parents are unmarried, paternity proceedings can be used to establish legal parent rights, including custody and visitation. Mothers and fathers alike stand to benefit from establishing the paternity of their child.

The Law Offices of Andrew L. Horberg, P.C., handles family concerns with sensitivity and flexibility. The firm represents mothers and fathers without bias. Whether you are a father who is trying to establish paternity because you want to gain visitation rights to build a relationship with your child, or a mother who needs to serve the father a child support order for financial assistance, the firm can help.

Contact Attorney Andrew L. Horberg

Contact the Law Offices of Andrew L. Horberg, P.C., to learn more about how attorney Horberg can help you to protect your parental rights. For an initial consultation at any of the three Illinois office locations (Tinley Park, Frankfort and Lansing), call 312-429-6920 or 708-576-1379.