Chicago Divorce Lawyer For Division Of Property And Debt Allocation

If you are going through divorce, you are probably concerned about how the dissolution of your marriage will affect your property and finances. You want to ensure that the division of property is conducted fairly, and that you will be able to continue supporting yourself and your family after the divorce.

The Law Offices of Andrew L. Horberg, P.C., with offices in Tinley Park, Frankfort and Lansing, has been practicing divorce and family law for more than 30 years. As a private practice, the firm is able to give undivided attention to clients who are in need of legal representation. Mr. Horberg leaves no question unanswered, and fights hard for his clients' interests.

Setting Expectations For Equitable Distribution

Illinois is an equitable distribution state, which means that the marital estate will be divided fairly, but not necessarily 50-50. Anything you owned before you were married usually will not be subject to division during divorce proceedings, but assets and debt accumulated after you were married will be considered.

Attorney Andrew Horberg can help with asset division and debt distribution while protecting your financial security. Examples of possible marital property include:

  • The home, and any other real estate
  • Cars, boats and other vehicles
  • Savings and checking accounts
  • Stocks, bonds and investments
  • Pension plans and retirement accounts
  • Furniture and personal property
  • Valuable collections or antiques
  • Joint credit card debts
  • Car loans and other secured or unsecured loans
  • Home mortgage, home equity line of credit and other home loans
  • Other unpaid bills

Many factors can affect the judge's decision, including the age and health of each spouse, length of the marriage and respective earning capacities. The judge may also consider nonfinancial contributions made by each spouse, or missed academic or career opportunities.

Ready To Defend Your Interests In Court

While you can save money by agreeing to a settlement outside of court, this is not always in your best interest to do so, particularly if your spouse believes that he or she is entitled to more than an equitable share of the marital estate. Mr. Horberg will take all your needs into account before advising you. For both modest and high-asset marital estates, he works aggressively to meet your goals and defend your property.

Contact An Attorney

For an initial consultation with divorce lawyer Mr. Horberg, complete an online contact form or call 312-429-6920 or 708-576-1379.